Monday, October 6, 2008

A Weekend of Personal Rejuvenation


This past weekend was a special experience for me. It is the first time in my 8 1/2 years of motherhood, that I have devoted a full weekend to my own nurturing! I feel that it is an important example to set for my kids. Certainly, it requires a full cup to be able to continually give to others. And I love to nurture my family, so I decided that it was well-justified personal time.

I attended the SE Women's Herbal Conference at Camp Rockmont. It was an incredible union of over 500 women. Just being in the presence of so many daughters of the earth was completely awe-inspiring. I enjoyed learning so much about herbalism and women empowerment. It really deepened my passion for gardens and herbs, and fueled my desires for connecting to the natural world. Viewing plants as wise sentient beings, who offer humankind infinite gifts, and being able to learn from these plant beings, not only by way of scientific knowledge, but perceptions of the heart, was one of the greatest lessons of all.

The conference raised my awareness of the responsibility of power as a women, to create, to facilitate change, to inspire a path that is good for all beings, that cares for the Great mother Earth and all her children. It was a truely special weekend, of resting, learning, sharing, and communing with other beautiful women. I look forward to the day when my girls are old enough to join me in this sacred circle of sisterhood.

Check out the powerful Red Temple Movement! And be inspired by the sweet sounds of sisters, Leah and Chloe, of Rising Appalachia.

~Suki Roth, one of my favorite herbalists, introducing Black Cohosh~

~The barberry (aka Oregon Grape) , one of the many herbs I learned about~Teach your children

what we have taught our children

that the earth is our mother.

Whatever befalls the earth

befalls the sons and daughters of the earth

If men spit upon the ground,

they spit upon themselves.

This we know.

The earth does not belong to us,

we belong to the earth.

This we know.

All things are connected,

like the blood which unites one family.

All things are connected.

Whatever befalls the earth

befalls the sons and daughters of the earth.

We did not weave the web of life,

We are merely a strand in it.

Whatever we do to the web,

we do to ourselves...

CHIEF SEATTLE

1 comment:

Sonya said...

good for you!! I didn't know you were there. I came just on Friday evening to host the BOBB screening and for dinner. It seemed like a great gathering of women.